Friday, June 16, 2006

Milestones !!!

First
I am a spectator again, as in my role in life is currently basically of a spectator, but not that of any sports AT ALL. FIFA world cup 2006, brings me to the front of the tube, I ignore songs and the general channel surfing is shunned when they come to play.
I watched the opening match, just like that, I guess because people around me were watching me and get introduced to terms like MF DF Strikers.

Yesterday I find myself catching the ESP vs UKR, though this time nobody else is watching it, I had no idea you get hooked to soccer so easily. The sheer power and team play at work which is put on display crammed into 1 and half hours is scintillating.

Yesterday’s spectacle reminded me of how I used to be a devout cricket follower as a kid, at least when my parents would permit TV viewing. How we would switch to radio if the power went off during a India vs X during world cup. How on the day of a final the whole family will sit from morning to evening (provided it was weekend) with the day passing by and the tension mounting. And how I suddenly stopped, when one name after the other, was dragged in the mud, with claims of match fixing. The hardest blow of it all was Hansie Cronje. Cronje epitomized the perfectionist and impeccably the true champion for me in those days.

Now I rediscover the joy of enjoying a sport without ever having played it, it is so much different from the delights of watching a theatrical performance, here the whole script is is written and executed in front of your eyes, its impromptu you could say. But the way spain played yesterday, I reailsed the biggest kick you get out of being a soccer apectator would be by watching an example of perfect teamwork at play when one goal is brought to fruition by 11 kyes synced together.

And today, today my mind kept returning to the perfect clockwork like execution of the last goal, it looked like a well orchestrated, perfectly rehearsed move. And now I find myself looking forward to going home and catching the next one.

Second
I have touched 50 kgs, somewhere in these few days I have crossed the line :-). And this definitely is a milestone.

No comments:

Post a Comment