Tuesday, October 18, 2005

What about these songs?

Nothing compares to what you feel, when you just stumbled upon a song you absolutely just discovered and are going to enjoy for days to come. It started with Bob Dylan, Tambourine man brought me close to tears, I still cant say what it was, because I just would not call me a person who needs a little musical delight every now and then. I have enjoyed numerous songs, sang along at the top of my voice with my eyes closed, found myself short of sighs for few, gotten nostalgic, but the fact remains I cant figure out when would I need it, cause I have listened to it when I have a highly-critical need for it and what defines it, I have no idea.

Well, anyway while I was at it, Bob Dylan was the only one who made sense in the world; rather I was thankful that he existed and he wrote these songs otherwise I might just have drowned. Since I had been on the terrain of musical exploration which truly delights the self, I guess I added it to my list of basic needs now, just like other needs which we develop after a little familiarity with materialistic objects, it could be the longing for a certain cuisine, or the longing to be clothed in certain fabric. So every now and then over the past few months I would find myself band-hopping, seeking God only knows what, from Bob Dylan to Simon & Garfunkel to led Zeppelin to Pink Floyd to Bruce Springsteen. I would not be able to describe how great musicians they were, who a better drummer or a Congo player, I remember them and think of them as the emotions they evoke, as the rhythm they create, as to how pain-wrought or laze ridden the voice was. There was a certain fashion in which the words, the rhythm, the melody and the instrumentals would blend to create trademark music.

Feel like as Somerset Maugham said somehitng like, a fool who is moved by a work of art but does not know how to finger the techniques which bring to such heights.

No comments:

Post a Comment